Update: Further tributes paid after tragic death of runner in Round Norfolk Relay
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid after a runner collapsed and died while taking part in the Round Norfolk Relay.
Despite the efforts of paramedics from the East of England Ambulance Service and the East Anglian Air Ambulance, the man did not regain consciousness after collapsing on the fourth stage route between Wells and Cley yesterday afternoon.
The City of Norwich Athletics Club named the man who died as Darryl Davis, who was running for their team in the 197-mile continuous relay around the county.
In a statement on their website they stated: 'It is with deep regret and sadness that we announce the passing of Darryl Davis during this afternoon's Round Norfolk Relay.
'Darryl was running for the CoNAC masters team and collapsed within sight of the end of his 11 mile run from Wells to Cley.
You may also want to watch:
'Despite the efforts of the paramedics and air ambulance staff who attended, he failed to regain consciousness. Our thoughts and prayers are with Darryl's wife and his family at this very sad time.'
CoNAC pulled their team from the event following the tragedy, while fellow runners spoke of their shock at the tragedy.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
Mr Davis was the membership secretary of the Tri-Anglia Triathlon Club. Rob Lines, the club's chairman, said it was 'terrible news' and that Mr Davis was 'a good friend'.
He said: 'We are shocked and saddened by this news. Our thoughts and condolences go to his family.'
The Tri-Anglia team took the decision to continue running the course and manning the handover point at Downham Market, saying they would 'run for Darryl'.
Ed Byard, from Oxfordshire running club Headington Road Runners tweeted that he had seen an ambulance at Cley. He later posted: 'Everyone from @headingtonrr is thinking about the runner who passed away today. So terrible.'
Biggleswade Athletic Club posted on Facebook that: 'Our thoughts are obviously with all those concerned at this very upsetting time.'
The Round Norfolk Relay course goes around the county's boundary in a 24 hour race, divided up into 17 unequal stages. The event started at King's Lynn yesterday and was finishing there this morning.
Did you know Mr Davis and want to pay tribute to him? Call Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org