UPDATE: Firefighters tackle Harleston chip shop blaze
Firefighters spent three hours tackling a blaze involving a fish and chip shop in Harleston town centre.
Five crews were called to Monty's Fish and Chips at just before 6.30pm last night as a result of a fire involving the frying range.
Appliances from Harleston, Diss, Bungay, Stradbroke and two from Great Yarmouth attended and an aerial ladder was also used.
The fire in Redenhall Road resulted in the closure of the road just off Harleston town centre.
No injuries were reported.
You may also want to watch:
The traditional fish and chip shop in Harleston has been operated by Monty Norman for more than 50 years.
Station manager Duncan Ashworth, of Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, said crews had to use foam extinguishers and dry powder to tackle the chip fat fire and had to cut away part of the wall to get to a smouldering wooden beam. The aerial ladder was used to pour water down the chimney.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 8 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
'There was lots of smoke and accommodation above the chip shop. It was a good stop because there was a danger of it spreading,' he said.
See Monday's EDP for a full report.