Update: Details of fatal crash in Hevingham released
Details of how a man from Norwich died in a serious car crash near Horsford last night have now been confirmed by police.
Emergency crews were called to the scene near the Marsham Arms pub on the Holt Road, around two miles north of Horsford.
A police spokesman explained further, saying: 'At approximately 10pm, a red Renault Megane Expression was travelling behind a white Fiat Ducato on the B1149 Holt Road towards Norwich.
'Close to the junction with Brick Kiln Road, the Megane was in collision with a red Peugeot 307 heading in the opposite direction.
'Following the initial incident, a red Ford Focus, heading towards Holt, was then in collision with the Megane.
'The driver of the Megane, a man in his early 30s from the Norwich, sadly died at the scene.
'The driver of the Peugeot, a man in his 50s from the Aylsham area, received head, chest and leg injuries and is being treated at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. The drivers of the Ford and the Fiat had minor injuries.'
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 5 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 6 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
- 7 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
The road was closed until the early hours of this morning and diversions were set up by Norfolk police, while ambulance crews attended to the casualties.
Fire appliances from Aylsham and one from Earlham attended the incident and cut free a casualty using hydraulic rescue equipment.
The bends on this section of the Holt Road road are notorious for people speeding around them, often causing difficulty in pulling out of the junction of Brick Kiln Road, which is on a slight bend and has a partially obstructed view.
The most recent crash reported in the area was on Wednesday, March 30, when a person had to be cut free by the fire service after their car had overturned near the Marsham Arms, but was left unhurt.
An unnamed resident who lives on nearby Brick Kiln Road, said: 'It's lethal that road, there are always accidents there.
'My fiancee always tells me to go steady when coming out of that junction, especially when I have our little boy in the car, it's really dangerous.'
PC Shane Schucroft, of the Serious Collision Investigation Team, would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident, or has information concerning the manner of driving of any of the vehicles prior to the collision. He can be contacted on 0845 456 4567.
• For more information and reaction to the fatal crash, see tomorrow's newspapers.