UPDATE: Contractors work into early hours to repair Wisbech gas and water leaks
CONTRACTORS worked into the early hours to repair gas and water leaks in a Wisbech street which resulted in properties being evacuated.
The mains burst in Weasenham Lane, close to the junction with Algores Way, at 12.30pm on Friday.
Eight properties - two factories, two homes and four small businesses/shops, lost their water supply and the area was evacuated.
A temporary repair was completed to the gas main before Anglian Water contractors fixed the burst water main. The repair was finally completed at 12.50am Saturday.
Firefighters had been in attendance at a road collision in nearby Regal Road when the mains burst and immediately put in place a 15-metre cordon and evacuated nearby homes. They were at the scene for several hours monitoring the leak and diverting water away from homes.
You may also want to watch:
Weasenham Lane was closed at both ends while the mains were repaired.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault