UPDATE 2PM: RAF Mildenhall gate locked down after suspicious vehicle found
- Credit: Archant
A gate at a US airbase has been reopened after a security alert this morning.
Security personnel at RAF Mildenhall searched a vehicle at the base's main gate after 'potentially harmful substances' were detected by security staff.
The vehicle was a delivery truck, according to Lt Col James Griffin, 100th mission support group deputy commander.
The truck driver had a pass granting access to base, but was still required to pass through a vehicle inspection.
Base security officials immediately halted all inbound traffic through the base's Main Gate and worked with Ministry of Defence officers to close the A1101 outside the gate for safety purposes.
You may also want to watch:
An spokesman for the 100th Air Refuelling Wing said: 'Following a thorough search of the vehicle, security personnel resolved the incident and restored all traffic to routine operations.
The A1101 has now been reopened.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 8 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR