Union warns of strike over pay changes
Breckland Council was warned it faces a “very real threat” of strike action after it backed plans for a performance related pay scheme yesterday.The trade union UNISON told council members that the majority of its 300-staff were opposed to the scheme and more time was needed for consultation and to iron out the kinks.
Breckland Council was warned it faces a "very real threat" of strike action
after it backed plans for a performance-related pay scheme yesterday.
Trade union Unison told council members the majority of its 300-staff were opposed to the scheme and more time was needed for consultation.
But at Breckland's general purposes meeting members rejected claims it needed to be put on hold.
A Unison survey of 163-council staff found that 84pc thought they would be worse off under the new scheme.
The new pay scheme will reward employees and departments for meeting targets each year and replace a system of annual increases for up to six years, combined with a yearly rise to cover the cost of living. Staff appraisals begin in June with a view to bringing in performance-related pay by April next year or April 2009 at the latest.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
Unison representative at Breckland Zandra Waterford said: "There is a very real threat of industrial action if this goes ahead as it is."
The pay scheme will be discussed today at a meeting of Breckland's full council.