Unexpected birthday surprise for Cawston family
- Credit: Archant
Family forced to flee their home following fire.
It was not the birthday surprise they had planned.
Alex White, 49, and Lindsay Aldridge, 45, were at home in Jubilee Close, Cawston, with their children, Stacey, who turned 22, and Luke, 11, along with dog Bradley, when their breakfast caught fire under the grill and they were forced to flee their home.
The drama unfolded today (Sunday) around 1pm as they planned a day of celebration to mark Stacey's birthday.
Firefighters from Aylsham and Reepham rushed to the scene after the alarm was raised. They entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.
The family's home escaped serious damage but they were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and shock.
Mrs Aldridge said: 'We've been very lucky, it could have been worse.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 5 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 6 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
'Stacey was a little bit upset. I know we wanted to celebrate her birthday in style but not like that.'
The relieved family, who spent the afternoon cleaning up, praised the emergency services for their response and revealed the paramedic had travelled all the way from Kings Lynn – a 70-mile round-trip away.
Mrs Aldridge added: 'They checked the people who breathed in the fumes and checked me for shock because I was shaking a bit - they were absolutely brilliant.'