UEA students make it to Dubai without spending a single penny
- Credit: Archant
Two University of East Anglia students made it all the way to the Jumeirah Lake Towers in Dubai as part of Livewire1350's Jailbreak fundraising event.
The annual event, organised by the campus radio station, challenges teams to get as far away from Norwich as possible in 48 hours, without spending any money.
For 2017, Livewire1350 has been raising funds for Teenage Cancer Trust with a target of £10,000. The current total stands at £8652.82.
Collectively participants travelled over 11,700 miles, with the winning team, comprised of Jenny Worden and Freddie Whipp, getting 5415km away from The Square, where the event launched on Friday, March 24.
Mr Whipp said: 'Reaching Dubai was an amazing experience, one that I will never forget.
You may also want to watch:
'The achievement of travelling the furthest distance out of all the teams was amazing but what's more impressive is the amount raised for Teenage Cancer Trust by everyone involved.
'Our team was lucky enough to be sponsored by Crimson Tide mpro, who helped us to reach Dubai. We are very grateful to them for both this and their generous donations to the charity itself. We were also helped in little ways like when we got a lift to the station by Tom a UEA student who had done Jailbreak before and just wanted to assist us on our way.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 4 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
'When we landed in Dubai the feeling of achievement of how far we had come didn't immediately sink in because I was still feeling sick from the turbulence experienced during the flight! However, there was a moment later on, while Jenny and I were meeting some camels that it hit me how well we had done to get over 5,000km from UEA.'
Other participants made it to Gran Canaria, Paris, Italy and Germany.
Livewire's Head of Events, Pippa Brown, said: 'We're so proud of all the teams who travelled, had fun and most importantly raised lots of money for a great cause.'
• Donations for Jailbreak are still being accepted, simply text LWJB88 with the amount you wish to donate to 70070.