Two saved in day of drama on Norfolk and Suffolk coast

A helicopter is called to assist with the rescue of a boy from the sea near Corton. Picture: HM Lowe

A helicopter is called to assist with the rescue of a boy from the sea near Corton. Picture: HM Lowestoft and Southwold Coastguard. - Credit: Archant

Rescue workers were hailed as heroes today after two lives were saved in dramatic incidents in Norfolk and Suffolk.

A Sea King helicopter was scrambled after a 14-year-old boy was spotted struggling in the sea near to Corton last night, hours after a rescue team leapt into action when a man in his 60s fell from his boat near Wells.

Both the man and the boy were brought to safety, and it is understood that their injuries were not life-threatening.

Crews were called to the Corton rescue at around 6.15pm yesterday, with the RNLI Lowestoft lifeboat and Great Yarmouth and Gorleston lifeboat called out, along with a Sea King helicopter, which landed at the golf course at Potters Resort in Hopton.

The teenager received medical treatment after the rescue and was later flown to the James Paget University Hospital (JPH) in Gorleston for further treatment.

The rescue in Wells, in which emergency teams saved a man from drowning, was said to have been a 'textbook' operation.

The man had fallen off his boat and into the water shortly after 6.45am yesterday, and was unable to climb back aboard.

Most Read

The man, understood to be in his 60s, was transferring himself from a tender to his boat.

He was boarding the 26ft fishing boat, believed to be called Sundance, when he lost his footing and fell in the water.

His boat was on its moorings in Wells channel near the outer harbour.

He was wearing a lifejacket and had a hand-held radio with him. He managed to use the radio to call for help.

Humber Coastguard picked up his mayday call and a lifeboat was launched.

The Wells lifeboat crew got the man into their lifeboat within 15 minutes.

Peter Rainsford, deputy lifeboat operations manager, who was in charge of the operation, said: 'There is no doubt the quick response of the crew probably saved his life. This was a textbook operation.

'Transferring from a dinghy to a boat always has its hazards and this man had done all the right things to protect himself.

'He was wearing a lifejacket and had a radio with him. If he hadn't, he probably would have drowned as no one on the shore saw him or heard his calls.'

The man is understood to be a frequent visitor to Wells and was staying at the Pinewoods Caravan Park.

He was taken back to the boathouse and first checked over by lifeboat medics and then paramedics.

Wells coxswain Allen Frary said the man was unhurt but 'shaken up'.

A spokesman for HM Coastguard Lowestoft and Southwold Rescue teams said that the sea rescue yesterday was one of three separate incidents across the Lowestoft area in the space of three hours.

Earlier five coastguard officers assisted the East of England Ambulance Service following reports a man had collapsed on or near the beach at Pakefield.

And at 3pm the lifeboat had to be called out to assist a speedboat which had run out of fuel off the Lowestoft coast.

Five coastguard officers again assisted.

Has the lifeboat come to your aid? Email

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter