Two Norfolk hotels named among best in country
- Credit: Archant
Two hotels in Norfolk have been named among the best in the UK by The Sunday Times.
The Norfolk Mead Hotel in Coltishall and Morston Hall near Holt made the list of the '100 Best British Hotels' after writers from the publication endured 'endless tasting menus and embarrassingly high thread counts' to come up with the final 100.
In its praise for the Norfolk Mead Hotel the newspaper wrote: 'If you're a hotel right on the Broads, a motorboat is as essential as bedrooms, and, fortunately, the Norfolk Mead - a cosy brick manor house in eight acres of grounds in Coltishall - has both.
'Its style is smart but homely, not particularly modern but incredibly well looked after. Two cottages in the grounds are ideal for families and there's flavour-laden, inventive British food. But the real star is the boat at the end of the garden; hire it for a picnic or to explore the local pubs.'
Morston Hall, which has a Michelin star and was recently praised by The Good Food Guide 2019, was described in the list as 'handsome' and 'utterly civilised'.
You may also want to watch:
'The food is the superstar here, supported by friendly staff and gorgeous location between Wells-next-the-Sea and Blakeney,' the publication wrote. 'The rooms - 1970s-chihc in the main house, 1980s-chic in the annexe - provide comparatively drab cameos, but you'll sleep well.'
Other hotels from the region which made the list were The Swan at Southwold, The Great House at Lavenham, The Crown and Castle at Orford and the Five Acre Barn at Aldringham.
- 1 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 2 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 5 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Water outages hit homes across city
- 8 People released from car after crash closes road
- 9 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 10 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks