Two days of fun planned at Beccles Carnival weekend
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Two days of entertainment will be on offer in Beccles this weekend as the annual carnival celebrations get under way.
The event kicks off tomorrow at Beccles Quay at 1pm with the grand opening by Miss Beccles Stephanie Tsang and her attendants Faith Alexander, Brooke Lay, and Joshua Brabben.
Attractions will include the annual fancy dress competition and Beccles Baby Competition, along with displays in the arena from Joe's Bounce Fit and Xpressive school of dance.
And new for this year is the bake-off competition and a fun dog show.
Saturday evening will see the return of Beccles Quay Rocks, with performances from three local bands.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a funfair, bouncy castle and a beer tent running across the weekend along with a variety of stalls to browse.
Event organiser Annette Tackley said: 'The carnival brings people to Beccles and is a really nice, positive thing to promote our town and bring everyone together.'
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
On Sunday, more than 50 entries will take part in the carnival parade, leaving Roys car park at 1pm, travelling through the town centre and down to the quay.
After the parade, there will be a static car and steam display, along with entertainment from the TeenStar winner Breeze Redwine, the Samba Band, Caroline Yardy's Zumba display, Framtastics Gymnastics Club, Crystalette Twirlers, Urban All Stars, Waggy Tails dog display team and more.
Beccles Carnival programmes will be on sale all weekend from Beccles Quay bridge and the main stage area at the quay. They are also available in advance from Saxon in Beccles.
Programmes are priced at £1 and will give you entry to the carnival weekend. They also include application forms for all carnival competitions. Alternatively, admission will be via donation.
Beccles Quay footbridge will be closed from 1pm to 3pm to prevent too many people crossing the bridge at once. The quay can be accessed from the designated walkway from the main car park entrance.
And during the weekend Miss Beccles and her attendances will be selling raffle tickets for prizes donated by local businesses such as Morrisons of Beccles, Wine Vaults, Potters Leisure Resort, Twyfords, Saxon, Pleasurewood Hills, Pleasure Beach and many more.
For more information, visit www.becclescarnival.co.uk
Have you got a Beccles story? Email email@example.com