Twelve crews attend rural lane near Diss after thatch fire breaks out around chimney
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A dozen fire crews tackled a thatched roof blaze in north Suffolk last night.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the fire in Shepherds Lane, Burgate, near Diss, at around 7.25pm.
The service said crews arrived to find a fire in the thatch around a chimney in a property.
Appliances from Eye, Debenham, Ixworth, Newmarket, Elmswell, attended the blaze. They were supported by Norfolk crews from Diss, Thetford, Harleston and Long Stratton. In total, 12 appliances attended.
To tackle the blaze, firefighters, removed thatch from around the chimney area. They split up into two teams and were reported to be making 'good progress in making fire breaks in the thatch' last night.
You may also want to watch:
By just after 8.45pm, the fire was reported to be under control.
'The incident is now under control and fire appliances are leaving the scene,' a spokesman for the fire service said.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 5 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 6 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 7 Man seriously injured after crash
- 8 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 9 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 10 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
Shepherds Lane is a small track leading off the A143.