Twelve crews attend rural lane near Diss after thatch fire breaks out around chimney
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A dozen fire crews tackled a thatched roof blaze in north Suffolk last night.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the fire in Shepherds Lane, Burgate, near Diss, at around 7.25pm.
The service said crews arrived to find a fire in the thatch around a chimney in a property.
Appliances from Eye, Debenham, Ixworth, Newmarket, Elmswell, attended the blaze. They were supported by Norfolk crews from Diss, Thetford, Harleston and Long Stratton. In total, 12 appliances attended.
To tackle the blaze, firefighters, removed thatch from around the chimney area. They split up into two teams and were reported to be making 'good progress in making fire breaks in the thatch' last night.
You may also want to watch:
By just after 8.45pm, the fire was reported to be under control.
'The incident is now under control and fire appliances are leaving the scene,' a spokesman for the fire service said.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 4 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 8 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 9 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 10 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
Shepherds Lane is a small track leading off the A143.