Family tributes paid to missing man Tony Green after body found in Great Yarmouth

Tony GreenPicture: Tony Green's family

Tony GreenPicture: Tony Green's family - Credit: Archant

Touching tributes have been paid after police said a body recovered from the River Yare in Great Yarmouth was understood to be that of missing man Tony Green.

The area near the River Yare along South Quay was cordoned off as emergency services got to work. Ph

The area near the River Yare along South Quay was cordoned off as emergency services got to work. Photo: Mick Howes - Credit: Archant

Speaking on behalf of the family, Mr Green's grandmother, Margret, said Tony was 'so well loved.'

His grandmother said: 'We would like to thank the police, fire service, lifeboat, coastguards and everybody involved in searching for Tony.

'They have all done a brilliant job. The police have been absolutely brilliant to us – they have helped us a lot.'

With the family having been overwhelmed by the support they have received from friends and within the community, Mr Green's grandmother added: 'The community, all of Tony's friends and those who helped with the searches, we would like to thank everybody for their efforts.

'We do appreciate all those who have helped us out in these difficult times. Now we have got Tony back, and we know where he is, and that is thanks to all those involved in the searches and the public for keeping an eye out. We have had some really lovely police officers helping us through this awful time - they have been so nice, everyone has been brilliant.

'We don't know what happened, but we know Tony is so well loved. The fact that so many people within the community turned out to search for him I don't think he ever realised just how well regarded he was by people.'

Most Read

Condolences were posted on our Facebook page with one message saying 'my heart goes out to Tony's family and friends', and another saying: 'R.I.P Tony another young life taken too soon.'

Mr Green's mother Diane Green posted on our Facebook page and said: 'Thank you everyone for caring and searching. Every comment is very much appreciated as it shows people care about him and his family and friends.

'We are very happy for messages and flowers to be placed on the river. I can't thank the police, services, family, friends and public enough.'

Mrs Green added: 'I have my baby back now... Sadly not the outcome I obviously preferred but we have him back for closure. Please respect our pain it's a really hard time for us and our hearts are breaking.

'Tony was an amazing son and I couldn't be prouder, he was such a kind person with lots of cheeky banter. Light a candle x say a prayer x let him know that we all care...please x thank u x'

The 25-year-old was last seen on Saturday night (September 8) in Bar X on Northgate Street after he was out celebrating a friend's birthday.

Norfolk police launched an appeal to trace Mr Green last Monday morning after he failed to return to his grandmother's house.

Police and Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service conducted searches, while his friends carried out their own independent searches. Last Wednesday his family issued a heartfelt plea for him to return home and also carried out their own independent search.

They traced the route he was expected to take back to his grandmother's house on Saturday night.

Police, firefighters, the East of England Ambulance Service, the Great Yarmouth and Gorleston inshore lifeboat and HM Coastguard Gorleston were alerted about 3.30pm yesterday (Saturday) following reports that a person was in the water at the River Yare, close to Haven Bridge.

A body was recovered from the water.

A spokesman for the Great Yarmouth and Gorleston Lifeboat said the inshore lifeboat was requested by the UK Coastguard to assist Norfolk Constabulary.

The spokesman said: 'Unfortunately it was a very sad outcome and our thoughts and condolences go to the casualty's loved ones at this difficult time.'

The inshore lifeboat returned to station and was met by the East of England Ambulance Service, Norfolk Constabulary and HM Coastguard Gorleston.

An RNLI spokesman said: 'The helm and crew dealt with this in a very professional way and thanks extend to the other agencies who were also there, unfortunately it wasn't a good outcome and on behalf of the RNLI thoughts go to the family and friends.'

A spokesman for HM Coastguard Gorleston said the team was paged by Humber Coastguard to reports of a person in the water close to Haven Bridge.

The spokesman said: 'The Great Yarmouth & Gorleston ILB recovered the body and returned to the lifeboat station where Norfolk Police, the Ambulance Service and the HM Coastguard Gorleston Team assisted with the transfer.

'A very sad outcome and our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of this person.'

The death is currently being treated as unexplained and a post mortem examination will take place in due course, officers said.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter