Tributes paid to popular sports reporter who died after cancer battle
- Credit: Archant
'Wonderful', 'lovely' and 'dependable' are just some of the words used to describe a former Norfolk reporter and well-known member of the community who has passed away following a battle with cancer.
John Cushion, commonly known as 'Cush' among his friends, passed away on Tuesday, May 15 at the age of 71 after battling with cancer for a year.
He made a name for himself in Norfolk after working for Archant as a Fakenham news and sports reporter for 45 years.
The town's mayor, George Acheson, said: 'He was really well known, highly respected and a great friend of Fakenham.'
A friend and colleague on the newspaper sportsdesk, Viv Thomas, called him a 'brilliant journalist' with an extensive knowledge of local sports.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'He was dedicated to providing the best coverage possible and loved going to watch local football and cricket even when he wasn't required to report on it.
'He was a wonderful, dependable colleague and friend. I will miss him a great deal.'
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 8 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
Sports was a big passion for the dedicated reporter in both his professional and personal life.
After hearing news of his death, Fakenham Town Football Club took to social media and promised to pay tribute to Mr Cushion with a minute long applause at their presentation night on Friday, May 18.
The chairman of the football club, Simon Barnes, wrote on Twitter: 'Really sad to hear the news that John Cushion has passed away, John was a terrific person who loved his club, Fakenham Town. He was instrumental in raising the profile of the club in the 90s, he was a genuine guy who we all loved and respected, thoughts go to his family and friends.'
Mr Cushion was also known among members at Fakenham's Conservative Club and club secretary Andrew Bullimore and bar manager Rebecca Clark, said: 'One of our fondest memories would have to be the blog John did last year which was all part of a fundraising effort thought up by himself for raising money for a local children's hospice. John took one of the club's stuffed toys to Australia with him over Christmas 2016. He sent regular pictures and emails of his escapades that we printed off in order to keep members updated and amused.
'He will be greatly missed by all of us at Fakenham Conservative Club and indeed the wider community.'