Tributes paid to Norwich doctor Raveend Khwaja who became a pillar of the city’s Muslim community

Raveend Khwaja, with his wife Neena Khwaja. Mr Khwaja passed away on October 27

Raveend Khwaja, with his wife Neena Khwaja. Mr Khwaja passed away on October 27 - Credit: Sirat Khwaja

A tireless and dedicated doctor who became a pillar of the city's Muslim community has died aged 90.

Raveend Khwaja spent more than 20 years at his practice on Vauxhall Street in Norwich, where he cared for hundreds of patients.

The grandfather, who was born in India, was also a founding member of the Norwich and Norfolk Muslim Association (NNMA), based on Dereham Road.

He was described as a loving and peaceful man, who always put others first.

But on October 27 he was rushed to the Norfolkand Norwich University Hospital after complaining of breathing difficulties.

He died that evening from heart complications.

Mr Khwaja's youngest son, Sirat, 49, said: 'He was a kind and forgiving man, who always wanted peace, friendship and love and these sentiments were reflected in his very last words.

Most Read

'He would always put others before himself, and any issues they had he would always put their situation first.'

The doctor, who has five children, was born in New Delhi to a very prominent family who were heavily involved in the independence movement.

He studied medicine in Bombay - now known as Mumbai - and moved to the UK in the mid to late 1950s with his wife Neena Khwaja.

After working across England and Ireland as a GP, they settled in Catton and Mr Khwaja started at his practice in Norwich in 1981.

He was described as 'deeply religious' and was also involved in the city's Muslim community, later being made a patron of the NNMA.

Mr Khwaja retired in 2003, and was cared for by his wife in his final years.

'During his career in Norwich dad developed numerous health conditions,' his son said. 'But what was apparent was his determination and resolve with everything before and after his retirement.'

More than 50 people attended his funeral last Wednesday (November 2), and he was buried at Earlham Cemetery.