Tributes paid to former Eastern Daily Press journalist Malcolm Perkins

Malcolm Perkins, former chief EDP reporter. Picture: Archant.

Malcolm Perkins, former chief EDP reporter. Picture: Archant. - Credit: Archant

Tributes have been paid to a former journalist who was at the heart of the news in Diss and reported on business stories in the region.

Malcolm Perkins, former chief EDP reporter. Picture: Perkins family.

Malcolm Perkins, former chief EDP reporter. Picture: Perkins family. - Credit: Perkins Family

Malcolm Perkins, who died of pulmonary fibrosis aged 79, joined the EDP in 1966 after being inspired by the beauty of the county on a family holiday.

He was the industrial editor between 1980 and 1982, and during the 1990s he was the EDP's chief reporter in Diss, with his role involved editing the Diss Mercury.

He started as a trainee reporter

at the Leicester Evening Mail and spent time at the Nottingham Evening Post.

Former deputy editor of the EDP Martin Throssell said Mr Perkins was the 'sort of reporter every newsroom needs'.

He said: 'He could ask tough questions without being theatrical about it and I can never remember him causing offence or printing a correction to one of his stories. He probably never gave a thought to how respected he was, or realised how popular he was with everyone who worked with him.'

Most Read

Mr Perkins, who enjoyed travelling, was born in Leicester in 1937 and grew up in Birstall.

After completing National Service he moved to Gloucester, where he met his wife Judy through the Gloucester Citizen. They moved to Midlands and had their first daughter, Jane.

During his time in Norfolk they had two more daughters, Emma and Lisa.

A statement on behalf of his three daughters said: 'Dad particularly had a soft spot for animals and wildlife, both worldwide and locally. Right up until his recent illness, he worked in the Cats Protection League charity shop in Chesterfield for two mornings a week – wanting to support the charity and play an active part in his community.'

He had seven grandchildren and met his long-time partner, Phyllis King, during his time in Diss. He retired to Chesterfield alone.

His funeral is at Chesterfield Crematorium on Monday at 3.10pm. All are welcome to attend.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter