Train misery for football fans following Norwich City’s win over Watford
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Fans who travelled from London to Norwich for the match between the Canaries and Watford had a potential sting in the tail – the prospect of being stranded in Ipswich.
Engineering works meant the last train back from Norwich to London was at 9pm, with buses at 10pm and 11.05pm only able to take fans as far as Ipswich where the next train to London was at 5.14am today.
A spokesman for Greater Anglia said the engineering works by Network Rail had been planned long before the game was switched from Saturday, April 23 to last night - due to Watford reaching the FA Cup semi-finals.
The spokesman said: 'This was planned engineering works which were planned a long time before the match was switched.' But he said he had not received any reports of 'any issues at all' of Watford fans having any problems.
The spokesman said Greater Anglia had been in contact with Watford before the match to inform them of the issue.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'Our view is that people planned beforehand and either didn't come by train or if they did they went early or maybe stayed up.'
But it meant Norwich fans travelling back towards London had to take buses as far as Ipswich where they were then stranded until the next train at 5.14am.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 7 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
•Were you caught out by the lack of trains last night? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.