Train delays in Norwich due to high temperatures on tracks
- Credit: Archant
Rail passengers travelling to Norwich have been warned to expect delays this evening due to high temperatures on the tracks.
Abellio Greater Anglia said a 60mph speed restriction had been put in place between Stratford and Shenfield by Network Rail until 8pm.
It means that all services travelling from London Liverpool Street to Norwich will be affected.
Passengers travelling on the line have also been advised to take water with them to keep hydrated.
A spokesman for Abellio said: 'Tracks can get a lot hotter than the air temperature and can buckle. That is why Network Rail has imposed restrictions, so services do not damage the tracks.'
You may also want to watch:
Network Rail said that on warm days, rails in direct sunlight can be more than 20C above air temperature.
If a track does buckle in the heat, the line would be forced to close and the track repaired before services can resume.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR