Update: Woman run over by bus in Norwich left with “not life threatening” injuries

A woman who suffered serious leg injuries after being trapped under a bus in a city centre accident last night is in a stable condition in hospital.

The accident brought rush-hour traffic in Norwich to a standstill yesterday evening as police cordoned off the scene to investigate.

The 25A First Bus had its windscreen smashed and had to be lifted by fire crews to free the casualty after colliding with the pedestrian at 5.10pm on Agricultural Hall Plain, close to the junction with Prince of Wales Road.

Ambulance crews attended the scene and took the woman to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital with what police called a 'serious lower leg injury'.

A Norfolk Constabulary spokesman has this morning confirmed that the woman's injuries are 'not life threatening or life changing'.

You may also want to watch:

The spokesman was unable to clarify any further details about the woman but confirmed that she had suffered a badly broken leg.

Police officers immediately carried out investigations, including testing traffic and pedestrian lights and photographing the scene, as they sought answers the accident.

Most Read

Sergeant Chris Winter, of the roads policing unit, who was leading the investigation team at the scene, said the bus had collided with the pedestrian but the precise details were not yet known.

Speaking at the scene, he said: 'We don't yet know the reason for the collision but will be investigating by testing the traffic lights, the bus and its mechanics.

'We will also be examining CCTV, both from the bus if it has it and the public CCTV.'

He said the full extent of further investigations would depend upon the condition of the casualty.

'The pedestrian suffered quite severe leg injuries, but we do not yet know the full details,' he added.

Buses were re-routed along Magdalen Street and Palace Street as police closed Agricultural Hall Plain to traffic while investigations took place.

Passengers on the bus involved in the accident were interviewed by police before being transferred to a replacement service.

A fire service spokesmen said crews had released one person, and crews left the scene just after 6pm.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: 'Police and fire, plus both of the city centre cycle paramedics, two advanced care paramedics and an ambulance crew worked together at the scene to care for this lady while she was extricated. She was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further treatment.

Anyone who witnessed the collision should call PC Phil Higgins on 101.

- Do you know the woman who has survived the bus crash? Did you see what happened? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or david.freezer@archant.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter