Update: Norfolk commuters faced delays following M11 crash
People travelling in and out of the county faced long delays this evening following a crash between nine vehicles on the M11.
The crash between three lorries, four cars and one coach brought traffic to a standstill earlier today.
Firefighters were called to the northbound carriageway between Saffron Walden and Bishops Stortford at about 9.50am.
The southbound carriageway has reopened but the northbound carriageway remains closed in both directions between junctions eight for Bishops Stortford and 10 for Duxford. Diversions are in place.
The northbound carriageway of the M11 is not expected to open until at least 3am Tuesday morning. Diversions are in place.
You may also want to watch:
Five people have been taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge. They are a man and an elderly woman who were trapped on the coach and three people in separate cars who have minor neck and back injuries.
The elderly woman has serious head injuries and is in a life threatening condition.
- 1 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 7 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
- 8 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 9 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 10 Home baker opens first shop after business 'snowballed' in lockdown
Police are appealing for witnesses following the accident. Anyone who witnessed the crash or has information about events leading to the collisions should contact Essex Police on 0300 333 4444.