The Norwich bus firm that will let you use your mobile as a ticket
Students and staff using buses to travel to the University of East Anglia will soon be able to use their mobile phones as bus tickets via a new app.
The smart phone app 'First Bus Mobile Tickets' means from June 1 users of First Bus travelling to the UEA will be able to buy their tickets on their smart phone and will no longer need to purchase a ticket from the driver.
Passengers will simply show the driver the ticket on their mobile phone screens. Tickets available include 3Month, Annual and Trio, which is valid between September 1 2014 and June 30 2015.
Dawn Dewar, transport co-ordinator at the UEA, said: 'We are very pleased to have been able to work in partnership with First Bus to develop a ticketing system which will appeal to the majority of our bus users and are proud to be the first University in the UK to have its own exclusive m-ticket.'
The initiative has been introduced to make it easier for UEA customers to buy tickets as well as to speed up boarding times. It is also hoped that it will encourage more people to travel by bus and improve journey times.
You may also want to watch:
Talking about the launch of mobile ticketing, First Eastern Counties' commercial director, Steve Wickers, said: 'This is great news for customers. The m-Ticket offers people an even easier way to travel with one of our value-for-money fares and I'm confident will help encourage more staff and students onto First buses.
'We are trialing this at the University of East Anglia and hope to introduce it to the rest of the county in due course.'
- 1 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 2 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 8 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
The app is available for free on the App Store and Google Play. Tickets available include three-month, annual and trio, which are valid between September 1, 2014, and June 30, 2015.