Teacher’s car amused Bentley ‘boys’
I purchased my first car in 1958 from D Marguiles Ltd in London for the sum of �385.
It was a 1925 Bentley, VDP body, short chassis and a three-litre engine with 'A' gearbox. It also had a hood and side screens.
At this time I was teaching in Essex and the students were much amused at 'Sir' arriving in his 'old car'.
I wonder where it is now? I have thought of trying to find out through the Bentley Owners' Club.
I kept the Bentley for five or six years but after getting married it was impractical, so unfortunately I had to sell it.
You may also want to watch:
It was expensive to run and I remember, when I was teaching, pulling into a garage and, not having much money on me, saying to the guy 'Half a gallon' and he said 'Where are you going? Scotland?'
Michael Chapman, South Creake, near Fakenham.
- 1 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 2 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Do you recognise this man?
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 10 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
We want to share your memories of your first car. Send memories and pictures of your first car to email@example.com or Andy Russell, EDP Features, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE. Please include your address and telephone number so photographs can be returned.