Success at the double for technician Darrell
- Credit: Archant
Technician Darrell Delaney of NMG Kia in Norwich has completed a very special double by winning a second competition.
Darrell Delaney of NMG Kia in Norwich has completed a very special double by winning a second competition for technicians.
He achieved first place in the SkillAuto technician of the year competition for the whole of the UK and open to all makes. The competition was run in conjunction with the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI).
This latest success follows on from him taking Kia's technical apprentice of the year title.
Darrell won his place in the SkillAuto technician of the year nationals after his success in the regional finals in May.
You may also want to watch:
Beating 28 other finalists over two days, he had to undertake a set of gruelling practical and theory tests, each lasting two hours, covering every aspect of vehicle diagnostics and repair scenarios on all makes of vehicle, not just Kia.
The SkillAuto competitions are judged by a panel of industry specialists and experts.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
Darrell could now be selected for the UK national squad to represent the UK in Brazil in 2015 at the world finals.
NMG managing director Grant Long said: 'Darrell has done himself, NMG and Kia proud indeed. I offer hearty congratulations from everyone at NMG to Darrell on this achievement.
'This competition is a practical skills and depth-of-knowledge test and reflects Darrell's passion for the work.'
Darrell also received a gold medal award from the SkillAuto team and can now qualify under IMI requirements for letters after his name.