Poll: Drivers – when did you last have an eye test?
- Credit: Archant 2013
Drivers are ducking eye tests with some who need glasses at the wheel often declining to use them, says a survey.
As many as 26pc of drivers have not had an eye test in the last two years, the poll by road safety charity Brake showed.
A total of 9pc have not visited an optician for five years or more, while 3pc had not had eye checks for more than a decade, revealed the survey which also involved insurance company RSA and Specsavers.
Of those who need glasses for driving, 1pc had driven without them several times in the past 12 months while 2pc had driven without them once a month or more in the past 12 months.
To raise awareness among drivers about their responsibilities, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is today launching an online education campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Brake deputy chief executive Julie Townsend said: 'Being a driver is a huge responsibility, and means you need to look after your own health and fitness to drive as well as making sure your vehicle is roadworthy.
'If your vision isn't up to scratch you are posing an enormous risk on roads, as being able to see properly is fundamental to being a good driver. Your eyesight can deteriorate rapidly without you noticing, and at the wheel that can be lethal. That's why it is so important to get tested every two years and always wear glasses or lenses if you need them when driving.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 9 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
Have you had to take away the car keys of a relative with failing eyesight? Have you had an eye test and been shocked by the result? Tell us your experiences in the comments section below.