Peugeot 4007 plays dirty
Iain Dooley checks out Peugeot's recent foray into the world of 4x4s – its 4007 sport utility vehicle.
Engines – When you're selling an off-roader, you've got to have a beefy diesel motor. In Peugeot's case, its popular 2.2-litre HDi is the only option available. This torquey and refined unit is a great all-rounder, as it's good for the city commute, motorway journeys, off-roading and towing.
Exterior – Sporting Peugeot's unmistakable 'family' face, the firm's 4007 sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a bold-looking machine. That it looks a little like Mitsubishi's Outlander is no coincidence, as the two share a lot under the skin.
You may also want to watch:
Interior – That Mitsubishi connection continues inside, with the 4007 sporting a very un-Peugeot-like cabin. Don't worry, as overall quality and comfort levels are high, it's just a little different from, say, a 407 saloon.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 6 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 7 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 10 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
Driving – Offering a robust driving experience, Peugeot's 4007 is surprisingly refined for something capable of serious off-roading tasks. The lofty driving position, switchable all-wheel drive and spacious cabin should all appeal to those people who have active lifestyles.
Ownership – Like its Citroen and Mitsubishi cousins, Peugeot's 4007 delivers a rounded and capable performance. Its capacious cabin and flexible seating should please families, while ease of use means it's straightforward to drive around town. The frugal diesel engine is also a plus.
What to look for – Like any 4x4, it pays to check for underbody damage and that the car's transmission and suspension are in good condition. Elsewhere, a spotless interior, comprehensive service history and flawless test drive are essential before making a decision.
Model history – 2007, Peugeot launches mid-size SUV, the all-diesel 4007. Sharing much with similar Mitsubishi and Citroen models, the 4007 offers switchable all-wheel drive, generous levels of equipment, auto gearbox option and a third row of seats.
Reasons to buy – Off-road capability, value for money, equipment levels, spacious cabin, diesel performance.
Reasons to beware – Cabin quality, brand image – badge engineered with Citroen and Mitsubishi.
Pick of the range – 4007 2.2 HDi SE.
What to pay – 2007 07 �12,250; 2007 57 �12,700; 2008 08 �14,375; 2008 58 �15,050; 2009 09 �16,350; 2009 59 �17,075; 2010 10 �18,400. Figures relate to showroom prices for cars in A1 condition.