Olly fired up by Robinsons Skoda
Robinsons Skoda is the power behind speedway rider Olly Allen.
The sponsorship deal by the retailer in Barker Street, Norwich, organised by sales executive Rod Hammond who has been a fan of speedway for more than 50 years.
And now the King's Lynn Stars speedway team captain has been supplied with a new GM (Giuseppe Marzotto) engine for his speedway bike for the 2011 season which has just started.
Olly, 28, from Norwich, said: 'It means so much to me. The sport becomes more and more expensive every year and for someone to help out and buy me an engine is really good.
'It's nice that it's a local company getting behind a local rider for a local team.
You may also want to watch:
'Without a sponsor like Robinsons Skoda it's harder for me to do, it's harder for me to be competitive,' added Olly who is in his second consecutive season at Lynn having also ridden for them in 2005.
Olly, whose father, Dave, rode most of his career for Peterborough Panthers speedway team, explained that the 500cc single-cylinder, four-stroke engine develops around 80 horsepower but in a light speedway bike has the same power-to-weight ratio as a Formula One racing car making it capable of reaching 60mph from a standing start in 2.5 seconds.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 6 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 7 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 8 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 9 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 10 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
And it's certainly not a sport for the feint-hearted with the single-gear bikes having no brakes and coming into corners at the Lynn circuit at about 75mph.
For more information about the Skoda range telephone Robinsons Skoda on 01603 751050, log on to www.robinsonsmotorgroup.co.uk or visit the showroom in Barker Street, Norwich.