Norwich event to get disabled youngsters on road
Get Going is a free event in Norwich this month for young people with disabilities and their families.
Did you know that if you are disabled, you could get your driving licence at the age of 16 instead of 17? If you're receiving the higher rate mobility component of the disability living allowance (DLA), you could then access the Motability scheme and be driving your own car in time to start sixth-form, college, training or your first job.
Applying for a provisional licence if you have a disability can take ages, so you need to start thinking ahead. At Get Going you can find out more about learning to drive.
Meet local driving instructors who can teach in adapted vehicles, sign, or have experience teaching students with learning disabilities.
Find out about the kinds of adaptations that can help you drive.
You may also want to watch:
Talk to other young drivers with disabilities about how learning to drive has made a difference to them.
Obtain information for families and other people transporting disabled passengers.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 4 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 9 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 10 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
Get Going will be held at OPEN, a fully-accessible venue in Bank Plain in the centre of Norwich on Saturday, February 19 from 11am to 4pm.
As well as information about motoring, it will be running a full day of activities, sports and entertainment. From all-ability climbing to makeover and modelling tips there will be something for everyone, including non-drivers.
The event is for all disabled youngsters aged between 15 and 26 but everyone is welcome, so bring your parents, younger brothers and sisters, carers and friends.
Get Going is a completely free event. You can turn up on the day, but if you register in advance you will be sent a free refreshments voucher along with a priority ticket.
Get Going is an event run by Mobilise, the UK charity for disabled motorists and Blue Badge holders.
For more information or to register for free tickets and refreshment voucher telephone 01508 489449 or log on to www.getgoingnow.org