Newspaper’s chocolate gift for hard working Norfolk paramedics during the snow
- Credit: Archant © 2013
Hard working paramedics in Norfolk have received a boost following a donation of chocolate from the EDP.
Staff at the ambulance station in Costessey were presented with two large boxes of Dairy Milk today as a thank you for their commitment during the snow and big freeze over the last week.
Paramedics and support staff for the East of England Ambulance Trust cancelled their days off, worked overtime and some slept over at their headquarters at Longwater last week to ensure that they could attend emergencies during the treacherous road conditions.
Crews have received on average an extra 15 calls a day, compared to a normal winter's day, because of the extreme weather.
Di Chan, assistant general manager at the Costessey base, which has 170 staff, said it had been a 'crazy' week for workers. She added that patients had been extremely understanding, despite delays caused by the weather.
You may also want to watch:
'The crews have been absolutely fantastic and people have phoned up to offer extra hours when they have been on a day off. We have had members of staff stuck and we have got 4x4s in to get them about. It has been a real team effort,' she said.
Nigel Pickover, editor-in-chief of the EDP, said: 'Local ambulance staff have done a fantastic job getting to patients in terrible weather and bad road conditions. This donation of chocolates is a little thank you to the crews on behalf of our readers.'
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 9 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash