New B1112 underpass due to open on Saturday, as part of the A11 Fiveways to Thetford dualling and improvement scheme
- Credit: Matthew Usher
As the A11 dualling scheme enters the last phase of construction, another milestone will be reached with the opening of the new B1112 underpass on Saturday, October 18.
Highways Agency project manager Geoff Chatfield said: 'Work on the A11 dualling and improvement scheme is progressing well and now reaching its final phase.
'Road users and local residents have already seen immediate benefits of reduced congestion and smoother journeys thanks to the opening of the bypass at Elveden in April.
'Opening of the B1112 underpass is another key milestone bringing us another step closer to delivering smoother, faster journeys along and around the A11 in Suffolk.'
Subject to satisfactory weather conditions, work to open the underpass is expected to start overnight on Friday, October 17 and complete by 6am on Saturday, October 18.
You may also want to watch:
The new B1112 underpass replaces the previous staggered junction with the A11 which was difficult to use and had a poor accident record. Traffic will be able to travel between the A1065 at Eriswell and the A1101 at Icklingham directly, using the new route under the A11. The current temporary 40mph speed restriction on B1112 will be lifted but there will be no access onto or off the A11 from the B1112. Local traffic wishing to access the A11 can use the nearby Fiveways junction at Barton Mills as they do now. Work on the A11 Fiveways to Thetford dualling and improvement scheme is due to complete in the winter.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast