Mean Mower that’s cutting edge
- Credit: Honda
If you spend hours cutting a huge lawn this could be the answer – a lawn mower capable of 0-60mph in four seconds and 130mph.
Innnovation, pushing boundaries and creating extraordinary pieces of engineering is what Honda is all about so Honda (UK) and its title-winning British Touring Car Championship partner Team Dynamics created what is believed to be the world's fastest lawn mower.
The super-fast Mean Mower, which can still cut grass, is a re-engineered Honda HF2620 Lawn Tractor with an all-new fabricated chassis, a 109hp 1,000cc engine from a Honda VTR Firestorm motorcycle, bespoke suspension and wheels from a Honda quad bike.
Every effort has been made to retain as much of the look of the original mower as possible. The cutter deck was custom-made in glass fibre, to reduce weight, while, in a stroke of genius, the grass bag provides a happy home for the fuel tank, a high-capacity oil-cooler and a secondary water-cooling radiator.
The mower still can cut grass thanks to two electric motors on the cutter deck, spinning 3mm steel cutting cable at a 4,000rpm. The mower can cut grass at around 15mph, more than double the flat-out speed of the original HF2620.
You may also want to watch:
Based on feedback from Honda Yuasa Racing drivers, three times BTCC champion Matt Neal and reigning champion Gordon Shedden, the mower has a custompaddle-shift six-speed gear system. It features a custom-made Cobra sports seat, a Scorpion exhaust system and a Morris Minor steering rack.
The lawn mower is set up to top 130mph and, at 140kg, has power-to-weight ratio of 532bhp a tonne. The mower has topped 100mph in tests.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Kate Saxton, Honda (UK) corporate affairs manager, said: 'This project provided the perfect opportunity to not only highlight the breadth of our product offering but to also promote our sporty heritage and support our reputation as an innovative company. Above all else, we love a challenge!'
To see Mean Mower put through it paces check out the video at http://bit.ly/MeanMower