Konectbus service from Norwich to Holt to be axed
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
The express Konectbus service from Norwich to Holt via Cromer and Sheringham will be axed next month, along with other services across Norfolk.
Scores of bus passengers have signed a petition to save the 2/2A express Konectbus service which will be axed next month.
It runs from Norwich to Holt via Cromer and Sheringham and was set up three years ago but will stop running from November 2, the Dereham-based firm has confirmed.
A petition calling for the service to be saved has been set up by the North Norfolk Labour Party and attracted nearly 250 signatures in under 12 hours.
Konectbus said in a statement: 'After an extended period of losses on this route, including both commuter periods and the summer season. The decision has been taken to withdraw this service. Another operator already operates various routes on this corridor meaning most customers will still have access to bus services.'
You may also want to watch:
The route is used by Norwich workers and students.
Sanders Coaches runs the X44 from Norwich to Holt via Horsham St Faiths, Hevingham, Aylsham, Cromer, and Sheringham and has operated it for 20 years.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Managing director Charles Sanders said the X44 would continue as normal.
Ian Laurence, 56, from Suffield Park in Cromer, who is visually impaired and uses the number 2 route to get to his Norwich factory job, said: 'This is a kick in the teeth. I don't want to go round the villages. I want to get to work. It is very disappointing.'
Konectbus will also be withdrawing or changing its 5, 6A/X6, 16, 52 and 53 services from November 2 because they have been 'operating at a financial loss'.
The 5 service which goes from Queen's Hills to Norwich city centre down Dereham Road will be replaced by a new 53 service.
The 6A/X6 from Attleborough to Wymondham and Norwich will be withdrawn. The X6 will be reduced to run a limited number of journeys each day.
Meanwhile, the 16 Service from Dereham to Wymondham will stop because Konectbus said passenger numbers are too low.
•To sign the petition visit norfolklabour.co.uk/savethe2
•Are you campaigning to save a bus route? Email firstname.lastname@example.org