Football special trains return for Norwich City FA Cup tie at Peterborough United
Additional services, extra seats and special locomotives are being laid on for football fans for Norwich City's FA Cup clash with Peterborough United tomorrow.
Operator Greater Anglia has announced two football fan services will run to make sure as many fans as possible can get to Peterborough for the Canaries' third-round tie at London Road, while East Midlands Trains is providing nearly 500 extra seats.
The two Greater Anglia services will be pulled by Class 47 diesel locomotives, specially hired for the occasion, which are expected to attract attention from railway enthusiasts.
Peter Meades, of Greater Anglia, said the locomotives were only used occasionally, but had been brought in because of the lack of overhead power cables on the Norwich to Peterborough line.
'We will be using a set of carriages from the Norwich to London fleet, and either end of those will be a Class 47 diesel locomotive,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
'It's a similar set-up to the one we use for the Lowestoft Air Show.
'It's a little unusual and rail enthusiasts like trains which are not regular workings, so some may be travelling on the service themselves.'
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 8 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 9 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
- 10 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
The outbound service leaves Norwich at 11.20am, arriving at 1.22pm, and the return leaves Peterborough at 6.10pm, arriving at 7.57pm.
East Midlands Trains also plans to provide nearly 500 additional seats for fans travelling to the 3pm kick-off.
The 11.57am service from Norwich will be double the usual length – four carriages – and the 5.39pm return will be a six-carriage train with more than 300 extra seats available.
Neil Micklethwaite, of East Midlands Trains, said the companies had been working together, adding: 'We know that this will be a memorable day for all Norwich City fans and we want to make sure their trip to Peterborough gets off to a great start.' See www.eastmidlands trains.co.uk or www.greateranglia.co.uk for more details.
FA Cup build-up – see sport.