Europe’s top car title goes to Peugeot 308
- Credit: Peugeot
The new Peugeot 308 has been crowned 2014 European Car of the Year as the 84th Geneva Motor Show gets under way.
The jury assessed 30 new models from North American, Korean, European and Japanese manufacturers, on sale in Europe last year which were eligible for this year's prestigious title.
The jury, reflecting the interests and tastes of 58 journalists from 22 European countries, delivered its verdict on the strong line-up of seven finalists.
The new 308 is the fourth Peugeot to be distinguished by the European car of the year title following the the 307 in 2002, 405 in 1988 and 504 in 1969.
The 2014 title is the most prestigious recognition for the 308, which embodies the brand's values in terms of its design, elegant and dynamic, efficient concept based on an advanced approach to weight reduction, driving experience with its innovative instruments and controls playing a part and high levels of quality.
You may also want to watch:
More than 55,000 orders have been recorded since the launch of the 308 which is also contributing towards the brand's move upmarket, confirmed by the mix of the orders, a higher proportion of which is for the upper trim levels in its range.
From the start of spring, the new 308 range will be expanded with the launch of the spacious 308 SW estate.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 10 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
Nine engines are available at launch – four petrol, five diesel with good economy – and will be supplemented at the 308 SW launch with the three-cylinder 1.2-litre PureTech e-THP 130bhp turbo petrol engine as well as three BlueHDi engines, including the new BlueHDi 1.6-litre 120bhp version with CO2 emissions of 82g/km in the hatchback – a record in the segment.