Compact coupe BMW's 1 and only
Iain Dooley checks out BMW's stylish and fine-driving compact 1 Series Coupe.Engines - BMW is known for producing excellent engines and those available for the 1 Series all do the car proud.
Iain Dooley checks out BMW's stylish and fine-driving compact 1 Series Coupe.
Engines - BMW is known for producing excellent engines and those available for the 1 Series all do the car proud. From the most economical diesel to the most potent turbo petrol motor there's something for everyone.
You may also want to watch:
Exterior - Although this particular 1 Series looks like a short, booted saloon, BMW's decision to give it the coupe tag adds some welcome glamour. It's also a practical car despite its sporty connotations - that boot is useful.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
Interior - Oozing quality, the car's interior is built to the same standards as the most expensive BMW. The cabin ergonomics are also first rate, and there's a surprising amount of space in the back.
Driving - Being a traditional rear-wheel drive car you can expect to have plenty of fun in the 1 Series. The potent high-end petrol motors are superb companions, plus the lesser engines are more than capable of dealing with the daily grind and long motorway journeys.
Ownership - Opt for a car with plenty of extras and your motoring life will be a happy one. The car's compact size ensures that it will fit in anywhere, while its refined character should please anyone downsizing from a larger model.
What to look for - Sometimes bought as a city car by the style-conscious, check for parking dents and kerbed wheels. Being relatively new, accept nothing less than perfection inside and out. A well-equipped car might cost more but it will be worth it in the long term. Make sure paperwork checks out.
Model history - 2007, BMW launches a two-door coupe version of its popular, premium small car. With plenty of engine choice and a long list of optional equipment available, there's enormous scope for personalisation.
Reasons to buy - The badge and brand image, driving dynamics, impressive engine range.
Reasons to beware - Not the prettiest 1 Series variant, modest amount of cabin space.
Pick of the range - 125i M Sport.
What to pay - 2008 57 �20,100; 2008 08 �20,800; 2008 58 �21,400; 2009 58 �22,100; 2009 09 �22,875; 2009 59 �23,675. Figures relate to showroom prices for cars in A1 condition.