Chancellor George Osborne says “further investment in A47 is essential for growing the economy of Norfolk” on visit to Norwich
- Credit: PA
Further investment in the A47 is 'essential' if Norfolk's economy is to grow, the chancellor of the exchequer has said during a visit to Norwich.
George Osborne gave the strongest indication yet that the autumn statement will contain good news for campaigners who have called for investment in the road.
The chancellor was in Norwich to see progress on the Postwick Hub, the junction on the A47 to the east of Norwich.
He said: 'It is great to visit Postwick Junction to see how the government's infrastructure investment plan is improving the road network in Norwich.
'These improvements will cut down traffic congestion and bring new homes and thousands of new jobs to the area.
You may also want to watch:
'As investment in infrastructure is central to the government's long-term economic plan, it is clear that further investment in the A47 is essential for growing the local economy of Norfolk.
'In the run up to the autumn statement, I will be carefully examining what more the government can do to invest in improvements for the East of England.'
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 6 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 7 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 8 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 9 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 10 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
The government has said it will invest £15bn in roads over the next parliament.
There is speculation that Improvements to the A47 which could be announced next month include:
An upgrade to the A47/A11 Thickthorn Roundabout.
Safety measures for the A47 Acle Straight.
An upgrade to the A47/A12 Vauxhall roundabout junction, Great Yarmouth.
A package of improvements to A12 junctions, including Gapton Hall and Harfreys roundabouts and around James Paget Hospital in Gorleston.
The dualling of the A47 between Wansford and Sutton in Cambridgeshire.
An upgrade to the A47/A141 Guyhirn Junction.
The government is already spending £19m on changes to the road at the Postwick Hub.
That junction will link to where the £148.5m Norwich Northern Distributor Road would be built if it gets planning consent.
The government has agreed to fund £86.5m for the NDR.
Norfolk County Council says the road will boost business and cut congestion, but those against the road say it will concrete over swathes of countryside and lead to more rat-running.