A11 dualling to begin within two years
Work to complete the dualling of the A11 between Thetford and Barton Mills will begin within the next financial year, it has been announced.
Chancellor George Osborne confirmed in October's comprehensive spending review that the government would press ahead with dualling the final nine-mile stretch of road between Thetford and Barton Mills, and 24 hours later roads minister Mike Penning confirmed funding was in place.
But since then, the Department for Transport (DfT) had only confirmed that work will start by 2015,
Today, roads minister Mike Penning confirmed works would begin in the financial year 2012-2013.
Mr Penning, who went on to outline time frames for a number of road improvemnets across the country within the next four years, said: 'These schemes will deliver vital investment across the strategic road network, driving economic growth and boosting the UK economy.
You may also want to watch:
'They will also provide much-needed additional capacity - easing congestion and making journey times more reliable for road users, including hauliers and commuters. For every pound invested on these schemes on average we will get back �7 of benefits to the economy with some delivering even higher returns.
'Transport provides the crucial links that allow people and businesses to prosper and we will continue to invest in schemes that reduce congestion and support economic growth.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 5 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 6 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 7 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 8 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 9 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 10 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
See Wednesday's paper for more.