4.30pm update: Delayed ticket-paying passengers to get compensation regardless of circumstances
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Passengers delayed during a day of disruption on the King's Lynn to London railway line caused by overrunning engineering work have been told they will be entitled to compensation if they bought a ticket, regardless of the circumstances.
First Capital Connect (FCC) confirmed that people delayed by more than 30mins on the day will be able to claim money back from the company.
Previously, the firm said it did not usually accept claims if people were advised of the situation before purchasing a ticket.
However in light of Tuesday's disruption, caused by engineering works which overran from the bank holiday, FCC said compensation would be available to all customers who bought tickets who were delayed by more than 30mins.
A spokesman for FCC said the company had made the decision in a bid to be fair to customers who were affected by the disruption.
You may also want to watch:
Several morning peak-time trains from King's Lynn were cancelled when Network Rail encountered issues with its signalling system between Alexandra Palace and Finsbury Park, where it had been working over the bank holiday. A reduced timetable was out in place for the rest of the day.
Under its passenger charter, FCC said it would pay the value of 50pc of the cost of a single ticket or 50pc of the cost of either the outward or return portion if a journey is delayed by between 30 and 59mins.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 4 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 10 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
If a journey is delayed by an hour or more, FCC will more than double that amount. A season ticket holder's compensation is calculated using the proportional daily cost.
Read tomorrow's EDP for more details.