Tractor driver taken to hospital after hitting railway bridge near Wymondham
- Credit: Â©Archant Photographic 2010
A man was taken to hospital with head and leg injuries after the tractor he was driving crashed into a railway bridge.
The victim, described as middle-aged, is understood to be in a stable condition at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
Emergency services were called to the scene of the accident in the B1135 at Crownthorpe, near Wymondham, just after 11.15am today (Friday).
East of England Ambulance Service duty locality officer Dale Meacham-Roberts said: 'A trailer being pulled behind the tractor became vertical, making contact with the bridge.
'The impact caused the tractor driver in the cab to suffer a head injury, chest pains, and a suspected ankle fracture.'
Fire crews from Carrow, Earlham and Hethersett were called in as well as the police, and the services worked together to free the driver from the wreckage and administer first-aid.
Mr Meacham-Roberts said: 'The fire officers were able to give first aid support and patient extracation.
- 1 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 2 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 5 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 6 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 9 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
'The critical care doctor assisted with the patient care, and everyone worked closely together to ensure everything could run as smoothly as possible.'
Although the air ambulance was also at the scene, the victim was taken to hospital by road.
The bridge is part of the Mid-Norfolk Railway.
A police spokesman said: 'We were called at 11.10am. It was report of a tractor which had crashed into a railway bridge on the road from Wymondham to Wicklewood. The tractor, towing a trailer, has hit the bridge.
'Ambulance was called and the road was completely blocked.'