Tour de Broads returns for biggest ride-out yet
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
A new 100-mile route and relay course have been announced for this year's Tour de Broads as organisers release details of the fourth annual ride-out this summer.
And 2016 looks bright for cycling in Norfolk as the event will be given a springboard by the opening of the new Pedal Park at Coltishall; due to host this year's event in August.
Soaking up four rivers and 16 Broads around the tranquillity of Broadland National Park, organisers hope to build on the success of previous years and attract around 3,000 riders as introduce a 'festival feel' to the day. Run on a strict not-for-profit basis by Pedal Revolution, it will also feature family entertainment and a live music stage for the first time at the new venue.
Since the Tour de Broads was launched, thousands of pounds have been raised towards local initiatives including the Great Yarmouth Bike Project; which works with the local community by offering skills, training and free bikes to participants to enable them to get physically active and improve their employment prospects.
'In 2015 our riders raised over £40,000 for their favourite good causes, with Love the Broads and Macmillan being the most popular choices,' said organiser Helen Rainbow.
Rides range from three miles traffic-free for families, a family one-hour leisurely ride, a circular 40-mile route for new riders and the full 75-mile Tour de Broads for those wanting a challenge to build up to.
Richard Key, 60 from Aylsham, signed up for the first Tour de Broads and has pushed himself further each time.
- 1 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 2 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 3 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 4 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 5 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 6 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 7 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 8 'I can't stop Western Link work starting in my woodland'
- 9 Jailed this week: County lines gang and man found with cocaine in his car
- 10 B&B and glamping ventures help farm survive tough times for agriculture
'Every year I find a lovely spot, a tearooms or an interesting attraction that I just didn't know was here and end up bringing the family back to explore at a later date,' he said.
'We have so much in Broadland and riding it by bike has opened up a whole new world of detail in the Broads for me.'
You can enter the Tour de Broads online at www.tourdebroads.com or by visiting any Pedal Revolution store. It is cheaper to buy a rider pack in-store, and online purchasers will have their rider pack delivered within 14 days.
Are you organising a sporting event? Email email@example.com