Top Southwold restaurant appoints new head chef
- Credit: Archant
A highly-respected restaurant and hotel has-appointed a new head chef.
Sutherland House, seafood restaurant and hotel in Southwold, has appointed Clark Slaymaker, 30, in the role.
Andy Rudd, owner of Sutherland House, said: 'Carl has some of the best relationships with local suppliers in the area, something that we have always been keen to champion here and because of this, we are able to source unusual, totally fresh local produce. It is the genuine meaning of local sourcing.'
Having lived in the local area all his life, Mr Slaymaker has a rich knowledge of cooking in and around Southwold as well as many contacts to ensure locally-sourced food is served at the restaurant.
Sutherland House is one of the oldest buildings in Southwold dating back to 1455 and has recently been named by The Times as number 10 in the top places to stay by the sea in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
'Every cook aspires to be a head chef and now Andy has given me a great opportunity.Whatever comes through the door any day we can put straight on to the menu,' added Mr Slaymaker.
Both Mr Slaymaker and Mr Rudd work for the Southwold RNLI - although at sea Mr Slaymaker is helmsman, while back on land at the restaurant it is Mr Rudd who is boss.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 5 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 6 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 7 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 8 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 9 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 10 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
He said: 'I have seen how calm Carl is as helmsman often under severe pressure and I know that this skill is transferable into the kitchen.
'Another advantage of this RNLI link is that we know the local fishing trade very well, which is a totally different approach to dealing with national suppliers.
'We are working together to create something a bit special and different.'
Have you got a story for our business page? Email firstname.lastname@example.org