Top national award for our coupon queen Holly Smith
- Credit: Archant
A bargain-loving coupon queen has won a national crown for her thrifty website.
Holly Smith, 30, of Seafields Drive, Hopton, battled serious illness to set up her blog and is now reckoned Britain's most trusted female money-saving expert with over 450,000 Facebook followers.
Her site beat five other short-listed entries to the Best Thrifty Blog category in the Mum and Dad Blog awards, known as the MADS, but she was too ill to collect her gong in London on Friday..
UK Couponing tells the story of Holly and her two children, along with product reviews, competitions, money-saving tips and commentary on parenting issues.
It also talks about some of the physical and mental challenges Holly has endured, including rare bone tumours.
You may also want to watch:
Holly, who has Asperger's, said she was 'absolutely surprised and excited' to be declared a winner but was unable to travel as she is recovering from major surgery, her husband Callum attending on her behalf.
She added: 'I started writing my blog when I was suffering from debilitating illnesses, which forced me to give up my 'normal' job as a promotional worker.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
'I decided to channel my positive attitude and set up a money saving blog. Blogging really helped me through the hard times and pain. I wanted people to know if a person has a positive attitude, they can overcome most adversities.
'Writing blogs enables me to share my money-saving tips so that everyone can benefit from them.
'It's fantastic to know people enjoy reading about our adventures, and blogging is a fantastic way to connect with other parents.
'I'm so happy people nominated my blog, and it's such a great honour to have won.'
In her spare time she uses her expertise to support charities donating £2,500 worth of food and toys to the Benjamin Foundation, £1000 worth of toys and food to the Salvation Army and has also helped the NSPCC, Cancer Research and animal rescue centres.
Holly holds the record for the biggest supermarket shop in the UK using coupons at Tesco Lowestoft buying items worth £1,164.39 at no cost.