Top national award for our coupon queen Holly Smith
- Credit: Archant
A bargain-loving coupon queen has won a national crown for her thrifty website.
Holly Smith, 30, of Seafields Drive, Hopton, battled serious illness to set up her blog and is now reckoned Britain's most trusted female money-saving expert with over 450,000 Facebook followers.
Her site beat five other short-listed entries to the Best Thrifty Blog category in the Mum and Dad Blog awards, known as the MADS, but she was too ill to collect her gong in London on Friday..
UK Couponing tells the story of Holly and her two children, along with product reviews, competitions, money-saving tips and commentary on parenting issues.
It also talks about some of the physical and mental challenges Holly has endured, including rare bone tumours.
Holly, who has Asperger's, said she was 'absolutely surprised and excited' to be declared a winner but was unable to travel as she is recovering from major surgery, her husband Callum attending on her behalf.
She added: 'I started writing my blog when I was suffering from debilitating illnesses, which forced me to give up my 'normal' job as a promotional worker.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 5 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 6 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 9 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 10 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
'I decided to channel my positive attitude and set up a money saving blog. Blogging really helped me through the hard times and pain. I wanted people to know if a person has a positive attitude, they can overcome most adversities.
'Writing blogs enables me to share my money-saving tips so that everyone can benefit from them.
'It's fantastic to know people enjoy reading about our adventures, and blogging is a fantastic way to connect with other parents.
'I'm so happy people nominated my blog, and it's such a great honour to have won.'
In her spare time she uses her expertise to support charities donating £2,500 worth of food and toys to the Benjamin Foundation, £1000 worth of toys and food to the Salvation Army and has also helped the NSPCC, Cancer Research and animal rescue centres.
Holly holds the record for the biggest supermarket shop in the UK using coupons at Tesco Lowestoft buying items worth £1,164.39 at no cost.