Get stars in your eyes: Norfolk and Waveney top spots for stargazing
- Credit: Archant
Next week (February 4 to 10) is 'Back Garden Astronomy Week', aiming to encourage people across the country to get outdoors under the night sky and appreciate the beauty of cosmos.
But if you'd like to venture a little further afield than your own property, here's a list of the 10 top places around Norfolk and Waveney where you can enjoy a spot of stargazing.
1. Wiveton Downs - One of two 'dark sky' sites in north Norfolk and home of the North Norfolk Astronomical Society.
2. Kelling Heath - North Norfolk's other officially recognised 'dark sky' site.
3. Great Ellingham - The Breckland Astronomical Society, which has a 20-inch reflecting telescope is based here.
You may also want to watch:
4. Tottenhill - the King's Lynn and District Astronomy Society is based here.
5. Seething - Site of the Seething Observatory, home of the Norwich Astronomical Society.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'I ran for my life' - Neighbour who saw fatal row tells of terror
- 3 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 4 Injured man found on Norfolk beach could be linked to woman's death
- 5 Man dies after 'industrial incident' at farm
- 6 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 7 Tributes to 'well-known, well-liked, well-respected' King's Lynn fan
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'One crazy decision' - Mother's anguish over son's death as dealer jailed
- 10 Mental health hospital owed £2m to staff and creditors when it shut
6. Lowestoft - Loughton and Yarmouth Regional Astronomers meet at the Parkhill Hotel here.
7. Horsey Mere - Quiet Norfolk Broads location is ideal for stargazing.
8. Herringfleet Mill - Another peaceful waterside spot to enjoy the night sky.
9. Reepham - The town's observatory, on the grounds of Reepham High School, holds regular public events.
10. Titchwell Marsh - North-east Norfolk beauty spot is a serene place to cast your eyes to the skies.