Tom’s grandma inspires him to take on next marathon challenge
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Beccles man has signed up to complete his second marathon, inspired by his 90-year-old grandmother.
Tom Persich took part in the Berlin Marathon in 2011 with his two older brothers to raise money for East Anglia's Children's Hospices, and next month will be taking on the London Marathon in aid of Age UK, a charity which provides elderly people with information and advice.
Mr Persich, who also signed up as a way of celebrating his 26th birthday, said having an elderly grandmother and hearing about the work Age UK does in the community made him want to fund-raise again.
He said: 'I've always wanted to run the London Marathon. I've applied a few times and this year I just thought let's go for it.
'I know first-hand about the community work Age UK does and how valuable it is, especially in the winter. I've got an elderly grandma who is 90 and they are very good at helping elderly people keep their independence.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Persich is aiming to raise £1,800 and has held collections outside Tesco and Roys in Beccles, where shoppers donated more than £340. He also held a bake and craft sale at Beccles Public Hall on Saturday, where he raised £288. In order to increase sponsorship, Mr Persich has also decided to run in fancy dress and will choose his outfit from a list of suggestions put together by donors.
He said: 'Some of the stranger suggestions are that I dress as a character from Monsters Inc or a shopping trolley!'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 3 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 6 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 9 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 10 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
Mr Persich has been training hard since January and will be joining other Age UK runners for a training weekend in London.
To sponsor him visit www.justgiving.com/Tom-Persich1/
Are you taking part in the London Marathon? Email email@example.com