Time to pay our respects to Fiona

Fiona Anderson.

Fiona Anderson. - Credit: Suffolk Constabulary

A community will pay their respects today (Friday) to a heavily pregnant mother who fell to her death from a multi-storey car park in Lowestoft.

Fiona Anderson, 23, died from severe head injuries after falling from the Battery Green multi-storey car park in Gordon Road on Monday, April 15.

Her children – three-year-old Levina, Addy, two, and 11-month-old Kyden – were found dead by police at their flat in London Road South in Kirkley later on the same day.

The town was shocked and saddened by the deaths and hundreds of people are expected to attend the funeral of Miss Anderson at St Michael's Church in Oulton Broad today.

Miss Anderson's parents, Michael and Kerry Anderson, said the community had rallied round to support the family since the tragedy and had helped pay for a horse-drawn hearse at the funeral.

You may also want to watch:

They said all mourners and well-wishers were welcome to attend the service at 11am followed by a burial at Lowestoft Cemetery.

'Anyone is welcome to attend the funeral, it is all open,' said Mr Anderson. 'We wish to include the community.

Most Read

'There are so many people wishing us well and contributing. There will be a lot of people to thank after the day.'

Miss Anderson was pregnant when she died and will be buried with her stillborn daughter Evalie Brianna.

She is being laid to rest overlooking the graves of Levina, Addy and Kyden, who were buried at Lowestoft Cemetery following a separate funeral at the Church of St Peter and St John in Kirkley last week.

A memorial service for the three children will be held during Miss Anderson's funeral today.

Last month The Journal reported that Miss Anderson's parents had appealed on behalf of their daughter to the children's father, Craig McLelland, to allow Fiona to be buried alongside them.

Mr McLelland was said to be opposed to this happening and a separate funeral was held on June 5.

Mr Anderson said: 'It is not just a funeral for Fiona. We want it to be for all five of them. They should never have been broken up. She is overlooking her children. The plot is pretty close.'

News of the deaths sent shock waves around the town prompting many people to leave flowers, cuddly toys and personal tributes outside the family's home, at the corner of Grosvenor Road.

Throughout the country, people took to Twitter to express their grief and offer words of support.

In the days following the tragic events, hundreds of people gathered on Lowestoft seafront to release lanterns during a memorial service and church leaders in the town called on people to join forces and observe a one-minute silence.

Lowestoft-based fund raising organisation Soundraisers and private donors showed their support by raising £900 towards the funeral costs.

Mr Anderson said: 'We decided a horse-drawn hearse would be the best way to spend the money that people have brought together for Fiona. We thought it would be a fitting tribute to everyone.'

The Rev Robin Pritchard, who will be leading Miss Anderson's funeral, said it was likely to be an emotional and difficult day.

He said: 'The purpose of human grief is not to forget our loved ones but to remember them even more clearly. I hope that the funeral will give everyone the chance to gather, to pray, to commend Fiona to God's care and to strengthen us all for the journey ahead.'

Waveney MP Peter Aldous said: 'The service provides an opportunity for the community to come together to pay their respects and to show their support to the family and friends in what has been a very difficult period for them.

'My thoughts are with them.'

Mayor of Lowestoft June Ford offered her condolences to those affected. 'This is another sad chapter and as a mother and grandmother myself my thoughts are with everyone affected by this terrible tragedy,' she said.

Miss Anderson was eight-months pregnant and expecting her fourth child with Mr McLelland when she fell more than 30ft to her death from the top floor of the Battery Green multi-storey car park.

Almost three hours after the death of Miss Anderson, police officers found her three children Levina, Addy, and Kyden dead at their home in London Road South.

Neighbours had described how Fiona had been depressed in recent weeks, and she had separated from Mr McLelland.

CCTV images showed a heavily-pregnant Miss Anderson walking around Lowestoft holding a teddy bear and wearing a white coat shortly before she was found.

After several days inquiries, senior detectives leading the investigation confirmed they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the four deaths.

An inquest held in April heard the cause of the children's deaths had not been determined and that further tests were taking place.

The inquests have been adjourned and will resume at a later date.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus