‘An honour’ - City goalkeeper Tim Krul on saluting 103-year-old war hero
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City goalkeeper Tim Krul has described meeting a 103-year-old army veteran as 'an honour' after presenting him with a shirt ahead of the club's away clash with Tottenham Hotspur.
British Army veteran Kenneth Mayhew is one of just four living knights of the Military William Order - the highest honour awarded to people who have served in the Netherlands.
Major Mayhew, a Norwich City fan, was guest of honour at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - the first time City have visited the new hope of the London club.
And ahead of the game, City stopper Krul and fellow countryman Michel Vorm - who plays for Spurs - presented Major Mayhew with shirts of the respective clubs to thank him for all he had done for their native land.
Posting on Twitter afterwards, Krul wrote: "Was an honour to meet this hero. Unfortunately we couldn't give him the three points as a present.
You may also want to watch:
"103 and counting, such an inspiration."
Presenting the shirt, Krul said: "We especially wanted to see you tonight because you have done so much for our country."
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
Major Mayhew was conscripted in 1939 and served as an officer on the 1st Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment. During his service he played a pivotal part in the liberation of the Netherlands from Nazi occupation.
He was knighted by Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands in 1946, an accolade which is the Dutch equivalent of the Victoria Cross.
He celebrated his 103rd birthday on Saturday, January 18.