Thursford's Enchanted Journey of Light cancelled ahead of Tier 4 restrictions
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk's Thursford Collection has been forced to cancel its Christmas light show as the county plunges into the toughest level of coronavirus restrictions.
The show, which replaced the venue's annual Christmas Spectacular because of Coronavirus was due to run until January 10 2021.
Announcing the show was being cancelled the show's organisers, said: "After the recent government announcement about large parts of the UK going into Tier 4, including Norfolk, we are devastated to say that the Enchanted Journey of Light will have its last day tomorrow (24th December)."
"Everyone who has a booking with us from the 27th Dec – 10th January will be automatically refunded early January. Please do not contact us regarding your booking as this process will be done automatically.
"We started this project in July with the hope that we can give as many of you the Christmas cheer we all needed this year, hopefully we have done just that to all that have visited."
Bosses said Thursford would be back "bigger and better" in 2021 and thanked their staff for all their hard work.
You may also want to watch:
They said: "Thank you to all our amazing team for their relentless hard work and commitment throughout this hard year. The Enchanted Journey of Light is a huge credit to you all and it just shows what we can achieve, even in the hardest of times!"
Thursford invested £300,000 into creating the event, not wanting to disappoint people after having to cancel its huge Christmas show which attracts more than 100,000 visitors, including from abroad.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
The impressive show included a 1km indoor journey past lots of Christmas scenes before heading onto a light show and then moving outside to a walk past several more scenes of jungle animals as well as an illuminated fantasy ice palace.
Many of the items in the show – including a life-sized rhino and giraffe – came from China. The show had to be postponed by two weeks when some of the animals were delayed in transport and a nationwide lockdown was imposed. Originally due to start on November 19 - The Enchanted Journey of Light opened on December 3.