Thurne mill abseil raises restoration cash
- Credit: Archant
Brave fundraisers abseiled down one of Norfolk's most iconic mills, raising more than £2,000.
More than 20 people and 30 teddies took part in the challenge at Thurne Mill on Saturday.
The event was organised by the Wind Energy Museum of Repps-with-Bastwick and was kindly sponsored by AID Rope Access, based in Attleborough.
While the conditions were wet and windy, determined volunteers pressed ahead - setting up marquees, stalls and games.
And the Lion Inn opened to serve tea and coffee followed by an all day BBQ.
You may also want to watch:
The first abseil took place at 10am when Debra Nicholson climbed over the back of the mill, with further abseilers taking on the challenge at hourly intervals.
The youngest to brave the difficult task of climbing over the edge and then letting go was 10 year old George Denton, with 11-year-old Charlotte West second youngest.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
The eldest was Charlie Gander at 75.
Tjebbe, of AID Rope Access, said: 'It's great seeing the satisfaction on people's faces, especially the children.'
Organisers said it was a successful day despite the bleak weather, with more than £2,000 raised.
All proceeds will go to the continued maintenance and restoration of the mill.
Organisers have praised everyone who took part in the 'really enjoyable' event, and intend to repeat it next year.
If you would be interested in registering, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively call 07796 407864, and organisers keep you informed of the details once they are confirmed.