Thumbs up all round for world thumb wrestling championship held in rural Norfolk
- Credit: PA
The eyes of the world might be on Rio de Janeiro right now, but Norfolk held its own major sporting event this weekend.
Athletes from Germany, Australia, America and Poland came to Geldeston near Beccles to put their thumbs to the test in the World Thumb Wrestling Championships.
Held at the Locks Inn yesterday, competitors, who gave themselves names including 'The Thumbtaker' and 'Thumb-ra', competed in heats before finalists battled it out for thumb war glory.
And in the end, it was husband and wife Paul and Becky Browse from Lowestoft who took home the men's and women's trophies under their thumb wrestling names of 'Under The Thumb' and 'Dark Destroyer'.
Mr Browse said: 'It was fantastic to compete this year but we can't disclose our tactics. If you're thinking about entering next year, you better watch out.'
You may also want to watch:
Rory Bellis, organiser of the Tesco-mobile sponsored event, said: 'This was the biggest and best year yet, with the biggest sponsor we've had so far. The sun was shining on what was a hot day of thumb wrestling action.
'Both winners were from England, beating people from all over the world. The winners have recently married just three weeks ago - proving that love beats war.'
- 1 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 9 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 10 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich