Thousands of Great Yarmouth homes being targeted for ultrafast broadband connection
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2011
Thousands of homes in Great Yarmouth have been touted for new ultrafast broadband by providers Virgin Media.
The company has announced that work will begin this month to increase the broadband capacity of 5,000 homes and businesses in the town to allow for speeds of up to 300Mbps.
Currently the average download speed is 20Mbps, meaning this would offer a considerable increase to those that take the service up.
However, there will be a wait for this to come fully into effect, with work not expected to be completed until the end of 2019.
Brandon Lewis, MP for Great Yarmouth said: 'It is fantastic that residents and businesses in Great Yarmouth will be able to benefit from new superfast broadband services, and this is also a great boost to the Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft Enterprise Zone.'
You may also want to watch:
The expansion is part of a £3b national investment from Virgin Media to extend its ultrafast broadband network.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us