This is what inside of Diss Corn Hall now looks like
- Credit: Archant
A major project to restore and improve Diss Corn Hall will see construction contractors take over the site in mid-January to carry out the work.
Pentaco Construction has been awarded the contract, costing almost £1.6m, to restore and upgrade the building.
The work by the Norwich-based company will see the addition of a two story expansion at the rear to provide a box office, foyer, bar, gallery and exhibition areas.
It will take a year to complete and means the Corn Hall will not open as had been hoped next autumn.
As part of £3m Diss Heritage Triangle project, the Corn Hall has been closed since the summer and its furnishings and equipment have been stripped out ahead of the work and the majority of asbestos present removed.
The contract to Pentaco Construction, which was involved in the £1.5m restoration of King's Lynn Town Hall, was awarded by Diss Town Council as part of the project, which has been largely funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and town, district and county councils.
Julian Mason, town councillor and mayor of Diss said: 'The town council is delighted to have awarded the contract and is looking forward to seeing construction work starting on site in the new year.
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 5 City councillor investigated after Facebook golliwog post complaint
- 6 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 9 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 10 Greyhound saved from euthanasia among five dogs looking for homes
'We are pleased to be working with Pentaco to deliver this significant scheme for the town.'
Have you got a Diss story? Email email@example.com